This program supports projects that catalyze new ideas in arts and design pedagogy. As a tier-one research institution committed to innovative teaching and learning, we are delighted to support the advancement of new pedagogy-based programs, events, and activities. The mission of a Discovery Grant is to advance knowledge, enrich student learning, and explore original application of pedagogy in or from the arts and design disciplines. We encourage all faculty from all departments and schools within the College of Arts and Architecture to submit proposals. Applications for the 20-21 academic year are currently open.
Current grant priorities include projects that
- Have high research or pedagogical value;
- Create or strengthen an institutional partnership between Penn State and leading universities, Pk-12 grade school communities, government agencies, industry, or other community and non-governmental organizations;
- Propose innovative ways to integrate arts and design pedagogy research or practice into the curriculum;
- Have a community outreach, interdisciplinary and/or multidisciplinary component;
- Include participation of graduate and undergraduate students;
- Offer potential for external funding or lead to long-term impact for the college or university.
INNOVATORS IN RESIDENCE
The Center for Pedagogy in Arts and Design (C-PAD) invites individuals to apply for our Innovators in Residence program. Fellows will be selected by C-PAD leadership in December of each year. Selected Innovators will begin their Residency at the beginning of Januar, and the duration of the Residency will last two years.
The Residency's themes will coalesce around one (or more) of the three missions of C-PAD, including:
- Research - Conduct research on arts and design pedagogies in varied settings, with diverse audiences, and in various contexts.
- Assess and Disseminate - Implement, assess, evaluate, and disseminate innovate arts and design pedagogy practices that impact meaningfully learner outcomes, curriculum development, and education policy.
- Transdisciplinary Communities - Foster transdisciplinary learning and teaching communities that explore human experience, attributes, interactions, institutions, organizations, social structures, and strategic planning.